Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ballast Point Brewing Co: Calico Amber Ale

I can't believe I've gone this long without posting on an amber ale. One of my favorite beer styles, I sometimes can't resist picking up an amber I've never tried before. That was exactly my thought process when I saw Ballast Point's Calico Amber Ale. Described as a ale brewed in the "American Amber style", I couldn't wait to give it a shot.

This beer fits the brewery's description. The taste starts off with a ton of soft malt flavors. Very light caramel malts fill the pallate which typify the amber ale flavor. The second swash in the mouth brings out a ton of hop bite, which balances nicely with the malts. This 'second taste' is probably why the amber gets it's "American" description as it is still quite hoppy despite not being a pale or india pale ale.
Overall very flavorful and easy to drink. I could definitely sit down with a sixer of this SoCal selection and not get bored or turned off. Cheers

No comments: