Thursday, July 3, 2008

Unibroue: La Fin Du Monde

Summer is officially half over for me, so while it isn't technically the end of the world yet, I felt the occaision (and the 3 day holiday weekend) called for something special. Enter, Fin Du Monde.

I went through a bit of a belgian kick earlier this year, which is when I discovered Fin du Monde. I sorta burnt out on Belgians generally, but Fin du Monde is a brew I don't think I'll ever get tired of. It's a very carbonated belgian-style trippel, boasting that peculiar light Belgian maltiness. Unlike most belgians, however, this one doesn't leave any of that earthy bitterness lingering on your tongue, which makes it remarkably drinkable and refreshing. Fin du Monde also has that subtle spiciness that characterizes some Belgians, and in the absence of any strong bitter flavors, you can really taste the spice. But what makes this brew really stand out is just how well balanced it is. Finally, the beer does a second-to-none job of masking the high ABV (9%).

I don't care if you're a lager-lover, a paleophile, or any other particular brand of beer-partisan. This is one you have to try.

No comments: