Saturday, January 3, 2009

Moylan's: White Christmas Spiced Lager

I reviewed a Christmas themed brew in November, so I see no reason why I can't continue with the holiday spirit into January. Moylan's Brewery taps into the season's festivities by evoking images of 'white Christmases'. This marketing strategy is kinda humorous because of my twenty four December 25ths in Marin County, I've never seen any snow.

Moving past the label, Moylan's tries to match the hearty foods of the winter holidays by releasing a spiced lager. Normally breweries create winter warmers or spiced ales to combat the cold months and rich foods of winter. I was excited to try something different.

This lager is not as spicy as you would expect. There definitely is an orange flavor at the start. And after the beer warmed up a little, malty tastes and peppery flavors begin to emerge. Finally there is an apple juice flavor. That all sounds like a lot, but most of these sensations were quite subdued. If served separate from the bottle, you might be able to convince a drinker that this beer was a traditional lager. That all being said, it's not a bad lager. The malt flavors are light and sweet. Despite the fact the spices were subtle, it's a pretty good beer. I don't know if I'd pair this lager with a Christmas ham on a cold December night, but I'd definitely drink it again. Cheers

No comments: