Thursday, August 20, 2009

Harpoon Brewery: UFO White

I apologize for the long delay between posts. Even though I haven't written a review in a while, I've been drinking beer and stashing information. I'm finally back from my annual Massachusetts trip so here goes. This time around, I went on an extended vacation and I also ventured into the tri-state area in addition to the cape.

While removed from native soil, I hunt for out-of-state brew. I love comparing east and west coast beer. This year while traveling through the east I sampled some fine craft from
Brooklyn Brewery, Victory Brewing Co, Long Trail Brewing Co, Smuttynose Brewing Co., and Cape Cod Brewing Company.

But while relaxing on the coast, I always try to drink a Harpoon brew. As long as I can remember Harpoon Brewery has placed their beer on the shelves of Mass liquor stores. This year I went with one of their UnFiltered wheat Offering; or UFO for short. Harpoon has a variety of unfiltered wheats and my brother and I snagged the 'white' ufo. The white is a witbier with a soft orange flavor throughout. The beer is brewed with orange peel and coriander but the rind represents the prominent flavor. Besides the orange flavors, the beer tastes more like a pale wheat than a witbier with bready and yeasty flavors.

The white is a great summer beer to cut the heat and refresh the pallate during the humid east coast summers. I must say I really enjoyed this beer and overall I loved sampling most of the east coast breweries that I found. However, even when the novelty effect of trying new beers has run out, I still probably reach for a Harpoon. I've enjoyed all of their beers that I've tried and I'm looking forward to more next year. Cheers

No comments: