Saturday, November 15, 2008

Rogue: Santa's Private Reserve Ale

It's been a while since I reviewed a Rogue, so I figured I was due for another review. Inspired by Mattie's Anchor review and in the mood for something a little spicy, I decided to go for their Christmas Ale.

While this beer advertises itself as roasty and malty, it's the centennial hops that really comes through. That, and a unique spruce-pine flavor. I suppose Santa likes his beer to taste vaguely like Christmas trees. However it isn't as though the malts are entirely absent. In fact, they contrast with the hops quite nicely. But you have to have a taste for that earthy centennial hop flavor to really enjoy this one of Rogue's offerings.

Perhaps surprisingly, this one is pretty drinkable for being a winter warmer. It's got a very light mouthfeel and is pretty well carbonated. I guess that means this might not be a brew to reach for if you are really looking for something thick and satisfying. Overall, however, not a bad offering.

1 comment:

Mattie said...

Speaking of Christmas, I'll have Santa put a pint glass under your tree. Tumbler or Nonic?