Saturday, April 5, 2008

Allagash Brewing Co: Dubbel Ale

We're about to enter studying time around here so I need to fire off as many beer reviews as I can before we enter the "dry season."

Allagash is a big name in the Northeast, hailing from way up in Portland, Maine. They are best known for their white ale, but I wanted something darker so I figured I'd try out their take on the Dubbel. This 7.0% abv brew is remarkably drinkable. It's very light-bodied, which is a bit unusual I think for Belgian style ales. The predominant taste is a light earthy maltiness, accented with a faint tartness that has a bit of a cleansing effect on the palatte, though there is a pronounced lingering bitterness as well. It also has a bit of that odd sweetness that is particular to Belgian abbey-style ales, though it's much milder than you'd find in a Leffe blond or brown.

Dubbels are a bit odd to those of us raised on American ambers and pales because they feature a non-hoppy bitterness. I'm not really sure what it is that achieves that, but it takes a little getting used to. If you wanted to describe this beer in two words, it would have to be "sweet dirt." Not the most appetizing slogan, but still worth a try.

2 comments:

Eef said...

Quite the contrary, for me. I'm heading into paper-writing season, which means I'll be drinking regularly. I'll pick up the slack because ya'll have done a hell of a job the past couple days.

Mattie said...

Looking forward to it E